Saturday 9 January 2010

"Footstands Are Easy"

A few months back, my youngest son, K, was extremely excited to present to me his newest realisation. His sister had been doing some hand stands over the last few days and he had been trying to imitate her, to no avail. Rather than feeling jealous or inadequate because he couldn't do it, he said to me, "Mom, I can't do handstands, but I can do footstands! Footstands are easy."

At 5 years old, my son had learned how to appreciate the things he can do and not obsess over those he cannot. He wasn't comparing himself to anyone who could do the things he could not, nor was he allowing it to affect his self-esteem. He was just happy with the things he could do well.

At this point I also realised two things: I need to learn how to do that and I have to use all of my power and energy to ensure that he never loses it.

No comments:

Post a Comment